<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, November 22, 2003

Can Rod Stewart's Tu Fu Be Far Behind?


Still cruel and still endowed with power to be so,
Gifted as you are with the gifts of Venus,
That moment is coming, when, suddenly, in the glass,
You see beginning the little signs of change,
Downy foreshadowing of the beard to come,
The locks that curl and wanton to the shoulders,
All of a sudden looking a little different,
The cream-and-rose complexion beyond the beauty
Of freshest roses now not quite exactly
The way it had been just yesterday morning.
Then you will say, Alas for what I was
When I was younger than I am, Alas
That then I did not know what I know now;
Alas, that now I know what I did not know.

Horace, To Ligurinus (Ferry trans.)



Poor young grandson, there's nothing I can say
You'll have to learn, just like me
And that's the hardest way
Ooh la la
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was younger.
I wish that I knew what I know now
When I was stronger.


Faces, Ooh La La


Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?