<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 02, 2003

So the days in Gloucester include little summer. Actually, there was no summer to be found anywhere in the state this time round. Tried to bring the fabulous Lucy to Half Moon Beach twice this week only to find no sun and cold cold water. She could care less about the cold, but her tan lines are almost gone. Do six-year olds use tanning booths? Perhaps on Venice Beach.

I lived for a short while in California in the time of Reagan (President, not Gov) and spent some time on Hermosa Beach, which I actually loved. I bring this up because a friend recently commented on "Plastic fake California", which always kinda makes me chuckle. I have little desire to live there again, but the image of California from movies is as exagerrated as the image of Boston as a Puritan stronghold. Yes, there is some truth to both reputations, but in Los Angeles there exist some amazing buildings and public spaces and a ton of forgottten history, politics, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing that landscape again, even if, as one historian posits, were the city to be abandoned completely by humans it would return to desert in just a couple of decades. Also a nice idea

Who am I writing this to?

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?