<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, June 27, 2003

Jim D brings up the Wieners poem "Children of the Working Class" in a n email. I used to think this piece was a bit on the melodramatic side. That is, until I started working in mental health here in Mass. From the films I've seen, pictures and written accounts, the condition of institutionalization in Mass was horrific, which was part of what prompted the move to residential living.

I have to take a closer look at this frightening poem, so I think I'll spend the weekend thinking and writing on it out here on Yoo Doo Right. To start with, a google search produces a number of references to Marxist papers and college English courses, in reaction to lines like the following:

but the unshrinkable duties of any society
produces its ill-kempt, ignorant and sore idiosyncrasies


More later....

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?